Cultivate your musical passion for singing, playing and performing in MSOE’s Music Program. The program offers both a non-academic opportunity through Student Life, providing students a positive and engaging distraction from the stresses of the classroom, and new for the 2019-2020 academic year, students can earn Humanities credit for participation in one of four concert ensembles. Whether you're looking to earn credit or not, make sure to bring your passion for music!
All student musicians must complete the Music Registration form, regardless of credit or non-credit involvement in the Music Program.
Prerequisites (credit and non-credit)
- Instructor permission required.
- 2 years of experience in an applicable high school music program ensemble, or equivalent experience. Special accommodations may be made at director’s discretion.
- Able to read, rehearse and perform Grade 4 music.
Auditions are not required for participation in the music program, but may be used at director’s discretion for skills assessment and/or chair placements.
HU4800 Music Performance I
- 1 credit per quarter, 3 possible credits per year
- Course assessment primarily determined on attendance and musical growth.
- 90 minute weekly rehearsal
- A final exam dress rehearsal and public concert concludes each quarter.
2019-20 Concert Schedule
- Fall Quarter: Dress Rehearsal: Friday, 11/15/2019; Concert: Saturday, 11/16/2019
- Winter Quarter: Dress Rehearsal: Friday, 2/21/2020; Concert: Saturday, 2/22/2020
- Spring Quarter: Dress Rehearsal: Friday, 5/15/2020; Concert: Saturday, 5/16/2020
Enrollment & Registration
Regardless of ensemble, all students enroll in HU4800-Music Performance I. First year students should contact their Support Advisors to enroll.
All student musicians must complete the Music Registration Form, regardless of credit or non-credit involvement in the Music Program.
Enhance your music skills and expand your creativity in a group atmosphere by joining one of our student ensembles. Students may participate in performance ensembles regardless of enrollment in HU4800-Music Performance I. Per quarter, students enrolled in HU4800-Music Performance I can only receive credit for participation in one performance ensemble, but may simultaneously participate in different ensembles for credit and non-credit. Rehearsal attendance for non-credit participation in a performance ensemble is on a voluntary basis.
Performance ensembles may change to reflect student interest. Current opportunities include:
- Concert Band (credit/non-credit)
- Concert Choir (credit/non-credit)
- Drum Line (non-credit only)
- Jazz Ensemble (credit/non-credit)
- Pep Band (non-credit only)
- String Orchestra (credit/non-credit)
Check out the official Facebook page for information on upcoming events, specials notes and more.